Holotape Tax Laws
Taxes are levied against every plot type in the mod (except Martial). The tax rate and tax period can be adjusted within the tax law section of the holotape.
Taxes are designed and balanced around Maintenance Costs, if you aren't using that option, it's advisable to either leave all of your taxes at Standard, or turn them Off completely (using the Taxes On/Off option at the top, as opposed to setting them all to No Tax), otherwise some of the advantages gained by reducing taxes are fairly unbalanced.
If Maintenance Costs are on, taxes are collected daily, and the costs are subtracted from the taxes. Without Maintenance Costs, taxes are collected every 3 days.
When taxes are collected, you will get a notification telling you how much money you earned in total. This will be displayed as dollars, but is collected in caps - the message is meant to look like it's coming from the software which is pre-war (ie. before caps were a currency). The caps are deposited into the workbenches of settlements that have plots in them.
The following perks will increase the amount of taxes you collect: Cap Collector (all ranks) and Local Leader (all ranks).
Each rank increases tax income by 10%.
Only plots that have completed initial construction and have an occupant will pay taxes. The settler needs must also be met, or taxes will be reduced or stopped completely.
Tax Rates and Effects
Tax rates are set on a per plot type basis. By default all plot types are set to "Standard". You have 3 additional options: "No Tax", "Half Tax", and "Double".
In addition to changing how much income you receive, raising and lowering taxes for each plot type will have a variety of affects on your settlements.
- Note: Tax Rates are set globally. They are NOT locally set per settlement.
Plot Type Effects
- No Tax: +25% Recruitment Chance
- Half Tax: +15% Recruitment Chance
- Standard: Normal Recruitment Chance
- Double: -25% Recruitment Chance
- No Tax: +1 Food per Plot
- Half Tax: + 0.5 Food per Plot
- Standard: Normal Food Generation
- Double: -1 Food per Plot
Commercial AND Recreational (counts as 2 tax zones)
- No Tax: +35% Visitor Rate
- Half Tax: +20% Visitor Rate
- Standard: Normal Visitor Rate
- Double: -25% Visitor Rate
- No Tax: +30% Scavenge Rate per Plot
- Half Tax: +15% Scavenge Rate per Plot
- Standard: Normal Scavenge Rate
- Double: -30% Scavenge Rate per Plot
The tax adjustments done for each plot type also have an overall affect on your settlements. The tax system will "add" up your tax rates for each plot type and apply the following:
- For Each "No Tax": -1 Defense per Martial Plot AND + 3 Happiness
- For Each "Half Tax": -0.5 Defense per Martial Plot AND + 2 Happiness
- For Each "Standard": Normal Martial Plot Defense, and No Happiness Modifier
- For Each "Double": +1 Defense per Martial Plot AND -4 Happiness
For example, so if you reduce all 5 tax zones (Residential, Agricultural, Commercial AND Recreational, Industrial) to "No Tax", you'll have -5 Defense/Martial and +15 happiness.