As your settlement develops, your settlers will begin investing in their homes and businesses. As buildings improve, they will grow and become more interesting looking and will provide increasing benefits to your settlement.
Note: All specific numbers for upgrade requirements can be found on the Full Numbers Breakdown page. They are considered spoilers and not displayed in line with each explanation. This was done to keep the mod feeling organic, so you don't feel like you're just checking off boxes to grow your settlement.
Each building has three levels. Levels are unlocked over time provided your settlement meets certain requirements such as fulfilling the needs of your settlers and creating the right mix of homes and jobs.
The first level is built automatically once a settler is assigned to your plot. There are no other requirements for reaching level one*.
- Commercial plots are an exception which require established customers to open up. To that end, you must have a small number of homes constructed.
- Level 1 = Most buildings will be only the structure, with no lights, and minimal or no decorations
- Level 2 = The buildings will add electrical lighting as long as the plots are powered
- Level 3 = The buildings will add decorations
- Agricultural - To advance an agricultural plot beyond level one, your settlers must be reasonably happy, and defense and water needs must be met for the settlement.
- Commercial - To advance commercial plots, your settlers must be reasonably happy, defense needs must be met, and the plot must have power. Commercial plots also have a special requirement that you must have a decent population that can afford more expensive goods, this is measured by the number and level of residential plot homes.
- Industrial - To advance industrial plots, your settlers must be reasonably happy, defense needs must be met, and the plot must have power.
- Residential - To advance residential plots, your settlers must be reasonably happy, defense, food, and water needs must be met, and the plot must have power. Residential plots also have a special requirement that a large percentage of your settlers must have extra resources to afford investing in luxuries for their homes, this is measured by the number and level of plot-based jobs.
- Recreational - To advance residential plots, your settlement needs sufficient defense and the plot requires power.
- Martial - To advance residential plots, they must be powered, your settlers must be reasonably happy, and the settlement must have at least 2 industrial plots for level 2, and at least 4 industrial plots for level 3 (they can be any type of industrial or advanced industrial, including interior).
- Spoiler Link:Full Upgrade Requirement List