I began a new playthrough with Conqueror and selected the option to have settlements pre-populated at Level 2, with the exception of the settlements with quests, which start at the default L0. None of the settlements will upgrade - all progress normally to 100% at either L0 or L2, but they won't actually execute the upgrade. Other symptoms:
- Happiness is reasonable (around 80) when viewed in workshop mode, but the hud shows around ~20 happiness
- Happiness reports read zero across the board in the pip boy / city planner's desk reports
- Attempted turning off all requirements for settler needs / etc (no-involvement setting profile) to see if happiness was affecting ability to upgrade. No change.
- Built beds manually to cover extra settlers who might be in the settlement. No change.
- I didn't do the Conqueror raider quest after saving Preston and company. I refused his request and killed him when he went hostile.
- Scrap isn't an issue - I have quite a bit and they're tied together with supply lines or IDEKs logistics stations. I also turned off the requirement for upgrade scrap.